Saturday, March 22, 2008

Cool Stuff Part 2


I'm two years away from turning 40 and loving every day of the journey. Lately - I have been finding myself saying and thinking things that I never would have dared or allowed myself to in my twenties and thirties up to this point. You know how your nana or aunties would always say the CRAZIEST stuff to you - and you would be like "I can't believe this chick just said that". I'm slowly turning into that chick. It's all good, though - just like I said part of this new journey and becoming comfortable in the skin, place and time that God has gifted to me.

Having said all that - the almost 40 part is what led me to my first cool thing of this post. Charla Krupp's book "How Not to Look Old". I'm certainly no slave to fashion with my thrift store items in heavy rotation, but I'm all about getting some inside information on how to keep my glam on. This is a very well written book with tips for real women with real budgets (I'm about five minutes from having my mom cancel my Essence gift subscription if they have one more spread with $1100 boots and $600 suits...who the heck can do THAT).

Charla's book had high end stuff but she also had regular stuff that you can score at Target, Marshall's, TJ Maxx, etc.

Some of my other favorite things right now:

Law & Order - SVU - there used to be a test on nbc.com that analyzed your personality based on which L&O you liked. I'm SVU all the way. Mariska Hargitay is a bad chick!!!

Amy Winehouse - LOVE this girl. She can sing her butt off and while her life is a soap opera - you have to pray that she gets it together, gets cleaned up and is around to sing for years to come.

Niecy Nash - Clean House is must see TV for me. I live vicariously through all the LA folk (why don't they do these shows in Indianapolis) that are lucky enough to have their houses cleaned and reorganized. Niecy is the reason to watch the show - she is so sista girl real without being too over the top. She makes chaos and foolishness sound like cuss words.

No comments: