Saturday, March 22, 2008

Election 2008


I cast my first vote via an absentee ballot in 1988 for Dukakis/Bentsen. The electoral process is exciting and affirming to me. This upcoming election will prove to be unique in so many ways. The current three contenders are all different from the straight, white men we typically elect in this country. McCain is a Vietnam Veteran, not a lawyer, not a blue blood. Clinton is a former first lady, working mother, female and Obama is a biracial former community organizer. How could you NOT be excited about the potential for change in November 2008.

My son is 8 and his class has been watching the primaries and following candidates. They have even voted on scholastic.com. This dude was HOT though when he came home from school one day. "Mama, how old do you have to be to vote", he asked. "18", I said. This kid was like "Dang. I can't VOTE".

Funny. I hope everyone who can vote - will. Think about my son and all of our sons and daughters when you do.

No comments: